Extending information,resources and links on renewable energy and energy conservation for Canadian farmers, agri-business and those who support them in order to enhance their ability to make sound and successful business decisions.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Solar Farms - A New Dilemma

There is much discussion in Ontario on solar energy production due to the incentives for energy purchase under the FIT program. If I were a large land owner, perhaps I would consider the business opportunity - or should I? According to some, when it comes to alternative land use we should put photovoltaic (PV) solar collectors on the acres and acres of roof top that exists in urban areas in Ontario first, which makes sense to me conceptually.

On the otherhand, farmers are natually focused on capturing the sun's energy with several that have resources to manage solar energy production as well as crop production enterprises.

Then there is the issue of "visual heritage" or visual assets (as discussed in a previous blog). I literally can't see a view of acres of solar collectors being visually appealing...

It is a complex proposition with many facets - as a start here are some solar energy related resources: Natural Resources Canada: Solar Maps for Canada - www.nrcan-rncan.gc.ca and Clean Air Foundation's Go Solar Website www.gosolarontario.ca and Canadian Solar Industries Association www.cansia.ca and Ontario Power Authority: Feed-In tariff Program www.powerauthority.on.ca/FIT .

On a personal note, I took a short hiatus as I lost a dear friend early last week. It sure took the wind out of my turbine. Today, I am grateful for the sun's energy and power to renew me emotionally. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment