Wednesday, December 16, 2009
Does it fit in my business?
What kind of equipment do I need?
How much does it cost?
What is the payback in my area? And more...
The Canadian Wind Energy Association (CanWEA) is one resource available to assist. See www.smallwindeenrgy.ca/en/SmallWind.html
The "acid test" was particularly interesting - it is a calculator that looks up wind performance and electricity rates in your area and examines performance of differenct sizes of turbines.
Do you have resources to share?
Thursday, December 10, 2009
1. Sets benchmarks to determine success
2. Gets all stakeholders on the same page
3. Connects the dots to help determine impact to enterprises & total business
4. Helps to clarify vision
5. Acts as a guide to determine budgets, timelines and milestones
6. Helps to determine when project is off-track
7. Saves time as some activities have long lead-times &/or could be done simultaneously
8. Provides flexibility as plans can change
9. Provides greater control
10. Gives peace of mind...
and so much more. Speaking of more - see www.farmenergyonline.com for more on renewable energy business planning.
Monday, December 7, 2009
Estimated Energy Consumption by Ontario Agriculture -
(The numbers are huge!)
Here are some of the top energy reduction opportunities:
1. Creep heat pads
2. Creep heat controls
3. Variable Frequency Drive on large motors with variable loads (vacuume pumps, storage fans)
4. Photocell control for barns with natural light
5. Dual ventilation
6. Exhaust and re-circulating fans (NRCan standard)
7. Plate pre-coolers, heat reclaim and condensing boilers for hot water heating, dairy
9. Controls and Settings
10. Stand-by generator block heater thermostat
11. Seal leakage
Source: Ron MacDonald, www.agrivo.com
Do you know anymore?
Wednesday, December 2, 2009
It is not without it's challenges including:
- policy and regulations
- pricing mechanisms
- competitive land uses (i.e. food production)
- existing energy generation infrastructure and more
It sounds overwhelming, but I was pleasantly surprise at the positive attitude and approach, stay tuned for more and perhaps you would like to contribute your ideas on biomass...
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
- news from home and abroad
- program and resource information and analysis
- conference and meeting coverage
- opportunities and ideas exposed and
- reports on "lessons learned" from other farmers
We will present the highlights and let you decided if you wish to take it further.